Picnic Season: Country-Style Buttermilk Coleslaw

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches


I sure do love coleslaw and when I recently found myself with a bit of extra buttermilk after a baking experiment, I decided to try my hand at a Southern style slaw. It's picnic season after all!





Some people tend to only like vinegary slaws while others enjoy creamy ones. Me, I'll eat it all. Recently on my blog, I made a version with tofu and miso and over here at Poppytalk I've tried my hand at asian-style vegetable slaws, citrus slaws, and a pretty apple slaw. I'm a slaw lover through and through.


This one is no less loveable and it goes perfectly with summer barbecues. Fantastic with grilled chicken and it's even better alongside some spicy pulled pork. So if you're looking for a summer side for your next picnic or barbecue, give this version a go. Just remember that there is a bit of mayo here so keep it refrigerated!


Country-Style Buttermilk Coleslaw
This is a pretty tame slaw and works as an accompaniment to spicy grilled meats. However, if you want a bit more tang, add in more vinegar. A few shakes of hot sauce also would be a welcome addition. 

1/2 head green cabbage, finely sliced
1/2 head purple cabbage, finely sliced
1 large carrot, grated
1 green onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons greek yogurt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (or celery salt)
a good grind of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of kosher salt

In a large bowl, toss together the 2 cabbages, carrots and green onions. In a 2 cup measuring cup, add in the dressing ingredients and whisk until well blended. Pour over the salad and toss well. Cover and chill for 30 minutes until ready to serve.

Jan Halvarson

1 comment:

Danielle Hardy said...

I have not had this for so long- and now as i sit here at 11:50 pm, i am craving me some coleslaw :)