West Elm Comes to Vancouver


This morning I was lucky enough to meet up with Kendall Coleman of west elm along with their Creative Director, Vanessa Holden for a sneak peek tour of their 2nd Canadian store opening here in Vancouver tomorrow. The new store located at 2947 Granville Street houses their latest fall collection along with a selection of decorative accessories and art made by artists from the Vancouver area through a partnership with Etsy.  The fall collection includes one-of-a-kind discoveries and handmade crafts collected during recent visits to Cape Town and Johannesburg, Africa along with their regular diverse mix of furniture, home décor, and gifts.  I snapped a few favorites, take a look below:

One of my favorite pieces in the store was this pop-up rustic storage coffee table with it's secret stasher - perfect to do a little blogging, homework or coffee break.




The Etsy display including works from Dahlhaus

Loved this white washed wood-tiled 3 drawer dresser

Another favorite was this Elton Settee (10 times nicer in person) - I couldn't get a good shot of it when I was there, but it is definitely being added to my wish list.  It's just the right size for a smaller space like ours and I love the graphite colour (a common thread throughout the store by the way). In fact all of the colours at west elm are easy on the eye, a calming palette, something many I'm sure welcome to come home to after a hard day at work.

They are also introducing their very first Mix and Match Dining collection with the opening.  Buyers can customize their tables by choosing different bases and tops, mix and matching to create a look that's perfect for them.  Also do it with the bedding; everything has been chosen so that one can mix and match pillows, quilts and sheets.  (Some examples below).





Lots of textures and shades that can be mixed and matched.
A few pics (below) from their South African collection which I wrote about earlier this summer on Babble here.

Potters Workshop Tableware (in blue) - South Africa

And last but not least - their carpets.  west elm has an amazing selection of carpets at great price points we haven't seen yet on this side of the border since IKEA.  I didn't get a chance to photograph them, but I'm really looking forward to going back to check out their super soft souk rug and I loved the washed out hand distressed rugs I saw scattered about.

The store opens Thursday, September 13th (at 10am) and regular store hours are 10-9 (Mon - Thu), 10 - 8 (Fri), 10-7 (Sat & Sun).  Click here for the map.

west elm Vancouver
South Granville
2947 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC
westelm.com

Jan Halvarson

7 comments:

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

Oh I'm hanging for a West Elm here in Edmonton too, I'm in the market for a rug...your report sounds so enticing, Jan!

Unknown said...

I love West Elm, and always visit their store whenever I can (we are a couple hours away). I'm glad you finally have one in Vancouver. My husband was born and raised there, and we are visiting in a couple of weeks. I'm going to make it a goal to visit the new store.

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

It's a beautiful store! How did I miss that pop up table!!!! I have to get the dimensions of that baby! :)

Jan Halvarson said...

Jordan - crossing fingers for you!

Cyndi - yay!


Rosa - Ha - yeah it was right at the front door! i think we might get it.

ynas-design said...

The coffee table is my favorite,too. Looks good and is very practical.

sweet harvest moon said...

Yay!

Pinecone Camp said...

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know much about West Elm or what their product was like but I found heaps that I liked - "discovered" products were my favourites.