Just the Ticket: Pasta with Lemony Brussels Sprouts



I'm always on the hunt for easy dinners. Some might think it odd since I love cooking, but I'm not always wanting to prep and be in the kitchen for hours on end. Especially when I have things to do. I'm hungry and I want to eat. Now. 

Which is why I love dishes like this. The only real work is prepping the B-sprouts. I love this green little cute veg, but truth be told, it takes a bit of work to get them stage ready. First, you have to rinse them well. Then you have to peel off the outer leaves which can be tough or yellow or bug eaten. And then you have to slice them thinly, which is key to having them cook in just a few minutes. But after that, it's smooth sailing. The rest of the recipe is a snap.





Don't like Brussels sprouts? Well, we clearly can't be friends. Or you can venture into new territory - these aren't the stinky, mushy orbs made by your grandma. 

The dish is flavoured with garlic, chili and lemon and the sauce is simply the starchy pasta water enriched with 1/2 a bullion cube. I told you it was easy. The walnuts add a nice nutty dimension which works well with the B-sprouts, but if you're nut-adverse, you can leave them out. Parmesan tops it off with a delicious blanket of cheesy goodness. It's comforting, easy, and even a little bit vibrant. Just the ticket for a January evening.


Pasta with Lemony Brussels Sprouts
1 lb brussels sprouts
250 g dried pasta (I used a wagon wheel shape, but any pasta will do)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 a veggie or chicken stock cube, crumbled
2 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts or pine nuts
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Parmesan cheese, for serving

Rinse and trim brussels sprouts and slice them thinly. Use a food processor if you want to speed things up, but I used a knife and I live to tell this tale. 

Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, but reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid for later on. You'll put it to good use.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add in brussels sprouts, along with a pinch of salt, the red chill flakes and sauté until tender and lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the nuts and let those get toasty, about another minute or so. 

Toss in the pasta along with a 1/4-1/2 cup of cooking liquid and the crumbled stock cube, stirring in to create a light sauce. The liquid will reduce slightly to thicken. Squeeze lemon over top, give a quick stir  and serve in bowls sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

12 comments:

vredenburgje.wordpress.com said...

Thanks for sharing! I recently moved out and I probably should eat more vegetables, this looks like a great meal to accomplish eating more while still liking what you're eating.

Love,
Vredenburg

Manderley de GuindillayCanela said...

It's a wonderful recipe, so yummi!

xoxo

món cosit a mà said...

I and all my family love pasta! and this sweet shape!!!

Unknown said...

I work more that 60 hours a week most of the time, so a quick and easy dinner is just the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

heather caroline said...

I confess brussels sprouts have always scared me, but I think I'm going to give this recipe a shot this week!

Dan R said...

Yum. When do you add the garlic? before the brussels?

Unknown said...

I think this would make a great lunch. What a great combination of flavors. I'm going to get some brussels sprouts and some wagon wheel pasta (just because it's so darned cute!) when I go grocery shopping on Monday.

kickpleat said...

Oops! Yes, Dan R, add the garlic when you add the brussels!

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

Mmm this looks & sounds so delicous !
I needed some ideas for next week's meals, and I'll make sure to add this to the list ! :) Thanks for the suggestion !
ox

Jan Halvarson said...

Thanks everyone - Jeannette and i are thrilled you like it!

Unknown said...

Must give this one a try. Even though the kids aren't big fans of brussel sprouts, I think this may just well be the way to tempt them.

And I hear you on wanting the easy dinners. Especially when you've had a big day at work.

Thanks for the recipe!
Cheers,
Tasha

Anonymous said...

Just made this and it was absolutely de-lish :) The only change I made was to add more garlic (can't never have too much in my book)!