Get Fancy Free with Sole Almondine




When I was growing up, we ate fish every Friday. It was a tradition I wasn't very fond of. I didn't mind battered from a box frozen fish sticks (served alongside lots and lots of malt vinegar), but any other fish dish was pretty much a recipe for meltdown.




I don't have fish Fridays anymore but I through the years I've grown to love fish and seafood. No more tantrums at the dinner table for me!


Sole Almondine sounds all fancy and French, but it is actually one of those quick and easy recipes that everyone should have in their back pocket. Just make sure that you buy wild Pacific Sole (sometimes called Dover Sole) or find another sustainable white fish (like Haddock or Cod).

Serve this at your next elegant dinner party, uncork your favourite wine and put a little Edith Piaf on the hi-fi. Or whip this up after work and eat with the tv on in the background. You know, get fancy!



Sole Almondine
1 lb wild Pacific Dover Sole filets, rinsed
1 extra large egg
1/3 c all purpose flour (or use corn flour for gluten free)
salt and pepper
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 green onions, chopped
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup white wine (optional)

In a small bowl, mix the egg well with a bit of water. On a large plate, add the flour, a bit of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir lightly with a fork. 

Dip the sole filets first in the egg wash and then lightly dredge fish into the flour mixture. 

In a large skillet, heat half the butter over medium heat until bubbly and hot. Sprinkle sliced almonds  and green onions into the butter and immediately add fish to the pan and flip after about 2 minutes (or until golden). Remove fish from pan after about 30 seconds or until the other side is cooked and transfer to a serving plate. 

Pour lemon juice, zest and white wine along with the remaining butter into the same pan. Pour over fish, scraping the pan down to catch all those almonds, and serve immediately. Serves 4.

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Jan Halvarson

3 comments:

Lady Grey said...

Yum! Looks delicious : )

Joanne said...

Fish was always a constant in my home, my mom being from a Greek island and all. Mom's fish of choice was with head and tail intact and lots of bones to spit out. There were many meltdowns and I often had to sit at the dinner table for 2 hours until I ate all my fish, but I'm a pro now, haha!

This fish looks really good. I'm going to give it a try one day when I can source good quality fish.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a quick but tasty option for fish ... and the photo shot of your plate arrangement. Just happen to have some brussel sprouts and rice to add.